logo menu

Upcoming Events

Applying for a Visa

Applying for a Chinese Visa

Date: 2021-06-09 Author:

To assist you in applying for a VALID Chinese visa, we have the following information:


First of all, be sure your passport is current and valid for at least 6 months after your planned visit.


Secondly, please find out which type of Chinese visa you need.


There are different types of visa available to non-Chinese residents when visiting China. You will need to apply for the correct type of visa, depending on the purpose of your travel to China.  But for a visitor to CSNS, the following visa types are mostly seen:


Applying for an “F” (business) type visa

For short-term visits to IHEP, you may also apply for an “F” category visa (business visa). For this, you will need an official visa notification form (also known as a “visa application letter”). To get this, please contact with the inviter at CSNS.  An official invitation letter requires at least ten working days to process. Applicants should initiate the process as early in their travel plans as possible.


Applying for a "Z" type visa

If you are going to visit CSNS for more than 180 days, or going to be an employee at CSNS, you will need to apply for a Z type visa. Below is the current application procedure for Z type visa. Please refer to this procedure and obtain your visa before coming here. We would appreciate if you can consult us if you have any questions during the visa application.


Step 1: Contact your collaborator at CSNS, and prepare a contract and plan for your visit.


Step 2: Prepare the forms and materials for application for an official visa notification form and Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit in China.


Step 3: We will apply for an official visa notification form (which normally needs two weeks) and a Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit (which normally needs one month) for you.


Step 4: We will send you the hard copy of the official visa notification form and the e-version of the Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit.


Step 5: Present the notification letter and other relevant documents at the embassy or consulate office of the People’s Republic of China when applying for a Z visa.


Step 6: Enter China with Z visa.


Step 7: If you are staying at a hotel or CSNS residence, check in then complete temporary residential registration at the local police station within 24 hours of your arrival in China. 


Step 8: Complete your medical check and get an official Health Certificate. This has to be done at the Dongguan International Travel Healthcare Centre.


Step 9: Within 15 days of entry into China, present your valid visa, employment contract and other relevant documents to the local government department in charge of foreigners working in China to apply for a Foreigner’s Work Permit. We will help you prepare the necessary documents and apply for the work permit.


Step 10: Within thirty (30) days of entry into the People’s Republic of China, after obtaining the work permit, you should present the work permit and other relevant documents to the Dongguan Entry-Exit Administration Center to apply for a work-type residence permit


For more detailed visa information, please visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in China: http://cs.mfa.gov.cn/wgrlh/lhqz/lhqzjjs/