The Institute of High energy physics (IHEP) of the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) in Beijing, P.R.C., and the National Institute for Nuclear Physics (INFN) in Rome, Italy, are opening in the framework of their joint Fellowships Program a Postdoc fellow position on Hadron Physics related to the CGEM Inner Tracker (CGEM-IT) of the BESIII spectrometer, hosted on the Beijing Electron Positron Collider (BEPCII) at IHEP.
The BESIII experiment (http://bes3.ihep.ac.cn/) has accumulated the world’s largest samples of e+e- collisions in the tau-charm region, and has produced many new results in the light hadron spectroscopy, and the spectroscopy, transitions, and decays of charmonium(-like) states; among the others, the discoveries of the charged Zc structures, which, if resonant, cannot be accommodated in the traditional charm quark and anti-charm quark picture of charmonium.
Successful candidate is going to play major role in installation and commissioning of the BESIII CGEM-IT.
This appointment will be for a period of two years with a possible extension for another one year, up to a total of three years.
A candidate will participate to the final assembly of the CGEM-IT and its electronics at IHEP, to the initial stage of the commissioning by mean of extensive radioactive source and cosmic rays tests, to the installation of the CGEM-IT inside the BESIII Spectrometer, to the commissioning of the CGEM-IT after its insertion, and it validation by mean of the analyses of the first data collected for selected benchmark channels.
Ph.D in experimental particle or nuclear physics is required.
Previous experience in Micro Pattern Gas Detectors and their validation and commissioning by mean of test beams, radioactive sources and cosmic rays, as well as in ROOT, detector simulations and data analysis, and C++ programming skills are also required. A previous experience in international HEP laboratories as well as a previous experience in GEM detectors are appreciated.
The candidate must hold at the time of start of his/her appointment a Scientific Association to INFN, and be available to star his/her appointment at IHEP non later than early October 2019.
The candidate will be expected to travel for short or long term to different INFN sites in Italy, to the Universities of Mainz in Germany and Uppsala in Sweden, and to any other collaborating institute.
The selected candidate:
- will be offered by IHEP a Post-doctoral Fellowship, in accordance with IHEP's Staff Rules and Regulations;
- will be an Associated Scientist to INFN, in accordance with INFN's Associated Scientists Rules and Regulations;
- shall at all times, during his/her appointment, be employed by IHEP, who shall provide to the payment of a gross salary of four hundred thousands (400,000) RMB per year;
- shall apply to the programme by CAS aimed to support IHEP in hiring foreign researchers, within period of three (3) months from the date of his/her selection; failure to submit the application to CAS will in principle be considered a reason valid for the termination of the contract.
Candidates should send by email a statement of interest, a CV, and have three letters of recommendation sent by e-mail to:
- Gianluigi Cibinetto, firstname.lastname@example.org, Principal Investigator of the Italian group within the BESIII Collaboration;
- Lijun Guo, email@example.com, Head of IHEP International Office;
- Marco Maggiora, firstname.lastname@example.org, Director of the INFN-IHEP JointLab.
Candidates should also provide to Gianluigi Cibinetto, Lijun Guo and Marco Maggiora their Skype Contact ID, in case the Selection Commitee would require an interview; the candidates for those an interview were needed will be contacted in due time.
The review of applications will begin on July, 18th 2019 h12 CST considering the applications already received, and will last until the position is filled.
IHEP has an international working environment and no knowledge of Chinese is required; excellent knowledge of written and spoken English is required.