Visiting IHEP
Before you come
Visa application

To visit China, most non-Chinese citizens need a visa in addition to a valid passport. For more detailed visa information, please visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in China: If...

Currency Exchange

Currency exchange services are generally available at airports, hotels, local banks and ATMs. Below is some information about banks and ATM machines on or near the IHEP campus. Most international debit and credit cards can be used to...

Weather in Beijing

Beijing is situated in the north of China, and has a continental climate. Winters are cold and extremely dry, with a monthly daily average temperature in January of -3.7 °C (25.3 °F). Summer is hot and more humid, with frequent...


IHEP has agreements with several nearby hotels, as well as having its own Guest House right on campus. IHEP guests can choose either of the accommodation sites and enjoy the best services at specially negotiated prices.

How to get to IHEP

IHEP is located in the west of Beijing. There are two international airports in Beijing, Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) and Beijing Nanyuan Airport (NAY). Most flights are through Beijing Capital International...

Wireless access

Wireless network access is available in most of the IHEP campus. IHEP provides two ways for visitors to register. IHEP also provides an Eduroam network, which you can access if you are registered with Eduroam at your home institution.


Health insurance is strongly recommended for travelling or living in China, although it is not legally required. If you are visiting IHEP, you can purchase suitable travel insurance from your normal insurance provider, bank or travel...


Mains electricity in China is 220 V. If you are travelling from a country that uses 110 V mains supply (e.g. Japan, North America), you may need a converter for electrical devices (e.g. hairdryer, electric shaver). There are two types of...